About The Quill
The name of Foundation “The Quill” is coming from the volcano The Quill on the island of St. Eustatius. For the foundation the age-old volcano symbolizes the peculiarity and strength of the island and its residents.
Foundation The Quill wants to help people on St. Eustatius who have an addiction problem (and related social problems). The foundation wants in particular to help young people on the island who have addiction(related) problems in a way that they can build a better future for themselves. The foundation is an independent non-profit organization without any religious or political preferences. Foundation The Quill was founded in 2007.
The foundation seeks to realize of the following objectives:
1. To improve the social position of (underprivileged) residents of St. Eustatius; especially of those young people from the island and the Netherlands Antilles that cross the line into drug and alcohol abuse and/or criminality;
2. To enhance the self-esteem and self-reliance of the former mentioned groups and stimulate and motivate them to exploit their own talents;
3. To socially interlink various aid organizations, -programs and NGO’s on the island of St. Eustatius, the other islands of the former Netherlands Antilles and the Netherlands in relation to medical care, provision to the labor market, probation and after care, culture and education.
The board of Foundation The Quill exists of four persons. The composition of the board is as follows:
Mr. K. Cuvalay, president
Ms. C. Klöditz, vice president
Ms. P. Ploeg, secretary and treasurer ad interim
Mr. G. Sanches, member of the board
Committee of Recommendation
Besides the board there is a committee of recommendation. This committee supports the objectives of Foundation The Quill.
The composition of the Committee of Recommendation is as follows:
- Mr. G. Kuster, adviser SNS-Bank Tilburg
- Mr. prof. dr. H.F.L. Garretsen, professor Faculty Social Sciences and chairman Tranzo, the scientific centre for the transformation of the nature and quality of care and welfare at Tilburg University. Expert knowledge: sociology, epidemiology, public health, prevention, health policy and addiction
- Mr. dr. K. Nimako, director OBEE Consultancy Diemen and assistant professor International School for Humanities and Social Sciences (ISHSS) of the University of Amsterdam
- Mr. R. Pieters, former chair Overlegorgaan Caribische Nederlanders (OCaN); chair Specials Targets Group of Groupe Pompidou/World Health Organization
- Mr. G.O. Thomson, director Foundation Judiciary Institutes Windward Islands (in Dutch “Stichting Justitiële Inrichtingen Bovenwinden”) on St. Maarten, living on the island of St. Maarten
- Ms. dr. R. Tillema, psychiatrist and client-centered psychotherapist; director/founder of 'De Klik', psychiatry and psychotherapy practice in Eindhoven